Sunday, February 15, 2009

Internet gambling

I've just settled down to mark some homework essays, yet I find myself spending more time on the web than at my desk. Not out of procrastination, but because some of the writing is suspiciously good. A quick search for a phrase on Google usually confirms said suspicions.

If you are a student and happen to read these lines, heed this warning: If you are a RHINO¹ in class and you suddenly turn in an impeccable essay with perfect spelling and grammar, alarm bells will ring². And if you can find it on Google, so can I. Just because I'm over 25 doesn't mean I don't know how to use the Internet. If you're going to plagiarise, for crying out loud, do it properly. Especially if you're studying for a Masters.

1. Really Here In Name Only
2. This applies even if the essay is hand-written. How stupid do you think I am?

4 comments:

Judith said...

I love the acronym RHINO may I plagiarize you and use it?

M. le Prof d'Anglais said...

Hi Judith. It's an acronym I learned in England, not my own invention, so feel free.

The TEFL Tradesman said...

I think there's room on the educational market for a course in how to plagiarise successfully. Actually, it would really be about how to paraphrase and summarise well, but that wouldn't sell, wouyld it now?

For example: "Fred hit John in the mouth" = "Fred gave John a whack in the gob".

Very simple in terms of structure and approach - and how to teach it to numbskulls. Fancy helping me market this idea, dear Mons. Prof?

Betty Carlson said...

This has happened to me several times -- don't worry, it happens to the teachers who teach subjects in French too!

I'm glad I stumbled upon your blog. I teach college-level English in France too and am always interested in exchanging ideas, although I don't really blog about my teaching that much.