Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Unaffected

I rang the academie today to find out what was going on. I was actually quite impressed that they took less than five minutes to pick up the phone and I only got passed on once (the Ministry of Education keep you in a phone queue for an hour, then pass you around until finally you get through to someone who tells you another number, only for you to realise after hanging up that they've given you the one you originally dialled).

Anyway, they told me they still haven't placed me, and I should ring back at the end of the week, but at least they actually know who I am. In French, when they send you somewhere it's called an affectation. I've never actually wanted to be affected by an employer before.

3 comments:

Colin Cleavage said...

It's frustrating being passed around, but when I call numbers in France, the je vous passerai service is usually the only part of the conversation I completely understand.

Anonymous said...

Colin - in Belgium it's patientez followed by an hour of hold music before the dial tone, at which point they've all fecked off until the next time the office is open, usually on the 5th Tuesday of every month with a 'q' in it between 10:00 and 10:03.

Anonymous said...

Laurie - still, affected is better than being infected by an employer, which quite often happens in my job, usually things like Hep B and other nasties you get from needlestick injuries, not to mention the fleas.